To prescribe medicine, doctors need to know 1) how the body works; 2) how types of medicines affect the body; 3) how various drugs interact with each other; and 4) what new medicines are coming into use. They have to keep up on this all the time, because pharmacology is one of the main tools to address symptoms of sickness. But what if you’re SPIRITUALLY sick?
Prayer Can Be Effective When:
We Lean on The Work of the Spirit
- v24/26 The Spirit empowers us to pray!
- v27/29 Don’t block God’s Spirit; Beseech God for it!
We Link with Each Other
- v13 Connect With God No matter the circumstance!
- v14 Pray with others
- v15 The LORD meets the need, not the prayer itself
We Learn Our Actual Needs
- v16 confess our sins = admit to each other that we NEED each other
- v17/18 Elijah just like us? YES; difference in connection to God
- v19 warning: we wander!
- v20 cover multitude sins = cf. 1 Pet. 4:8 LOVE IN ACTION
=>A “testudo” of Roman Shields – much more effective when used in a group
We are to take up our Shield of Faith, proof against the flaming arrows of the evil one, especially when linked together!
Prayer isn’t just talking to a God in outer space; Prayer is baring the soul to the Spirit. We need each other for encouragement, support, and defense!